Saturday, May 14, 2011

KCR: I, Sniper, a Bob Lee Swagger novel

Cover of "I, Sniper: A Bob Lee Swagger No...Cover via AmazonSince we're on the subject of snipers, I have to cover one of my favorite novels about snipers... I, Sniper by Stephen Hunter.

The hook is interesting... four famed '60's radicals were gunned down at long range by a sniper. All the evidence... timeline, ballistics, forensics, motive, means, and opportunity... all points to Marine war hero Carl Hitchcock. When he was found dead apparently of suicide, police was tempted to call it "he went wacko" and close the case. However, one FBI analyst believe the case is TOO perfect... as if somebody went to great lengths to cover up the truth, so Bob Lee Swagger was brought in to consult, and he finally spotted an inconsistency that everybody else had missed...  and realized someone very rich, and very powerful had set up his fellow marine and war hero, and he will not rest until he get to the truth, and deal some justice against other snipers and gunmen... with a little help.

This wasn't my first Bob Lee Swagger novel, but my first, 47th Samurai, was a disappointment, as it's basically... incredulous. This one, however, makes perfect sense all the way through, though I have a bit of problem imagining Swagger as a gunslinger and a quickdraw artist.

Definitely read it.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment