Went to see Cowboys and Aliens yesterday. It was a fun movie that is about the same as Battle: LA... looks great, but the motivations doesn't make sense, esp. for the other side. It's fun, but it's not THAT good.
Movie starts with the hero wakes up in the middle of the desert with almost no memory, wound, almost no cloths, but a very good survival instincts... when set upon by 3 brothers. There's this mysterious bracer on his left wrist. He went into town, was helped by the preacher, met a mysterious woman, and was arrested for being a wanted outlaw who robbed a stagecoach belonging to the local rich man... oh, and he pissed off the rich guy's spoiled brat.
As he's about to be transported to Santa Fe, the rich guy arrived with his "mob"... they want the guy... and the son... then the flying aliens attacked, and roped off a lot of people. The stranger, who we now know is "Jake", found his bracer activated into a weapon system, and shot down one of the flyers.
Now it's a battle. How will Jake find out who he is, what happened to him, and who is that woman in his dreams or visions? And what horrible things had he done that he can't remember?
When you examine the plot a bit closer, there's a ton of problems.
1) How would an alien weapon/bracer just happen to fit a human wrist, and be activated by it?
2) Why would an alien weapon/bracer react to other aliens, when they are hunting HUMANS?
3) Why kidnap all those humans any way? There's too many of them needed for "experimentation".
4) Mining for gold... doesn't make sense at all. They could have found far more precious metals and such out in the asteroid belt. They have plenty of technology. Why come to Earth at all?
5) There is only ONE of those bracers?! Others have those big rifles, but haven't seen more than a handful of them. Most of the aliens do hand-to-hand only.
Told you, doesn't make that much sense.